At Seer Green school, we ensure that all National Curriculum objectives are taught through a broad and balanced approach to art. We aim for children to experience and enjoy a variety of art projects, using different skills and materials throughout the school year. Seer Green pupils will:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse artistic works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical development of their art forms
As a school, we follow the Plan Bee scheme of work, which support teachers to ensure coverage of the curriculum and progression of skills. Teachers have the flexibility to adapt planning to meet the needs of the children in their class. Art may be taught weekly or over a focused period and children will be taught the skills and knowledge needed to successfully understand the history of techniques before producing and evaluating their work:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- Develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- Learn about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- Develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design
- Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- Improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials, for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay
- Study great artists, architects and designers in history
- pture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Seer Green children will be become creative learners, who have knowledge of both local artists and the great artists of the world. Creativity and innovation will be celebrated and children will become skilled at editing and improving the pieces they have created. As teachers, there will be an emphasis placed on individuality and children will be given the freedom to explore art using their imagination. Children will have embedded the key art and design skills needed to allow them to produce inventive pieces of art.